PE & Sport Premium
In March 2013 the government announced that it was to provide additional funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013 to 2014 and 2014 to 2015 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools in England – The Primary PE & Sport Premium. This funding – provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport – is allocated to primary school headteachers. The funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
On 6th February 2014 the then Prime Minister, David Cameron committed to continue the funding for the Primary PE & Sport Premium until 2020.
The funding provided is based on the number of pupils in years 1 to 6. A full breakdown of Landau Forte Academy Moorhead’s spending can be seen on our PE & Sports Premium Report below:
Aim of the Primary PE & Sport Premium
The overall aim of the fund is to achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools.
Improvements can be judged against the following key indicators:
- Increased engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
How to use the Primary PE & Sport Premium
The fund is used to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport in which Landau Forte Academy Moorhead offers. The DfE has provided suggestions on how this funding could be used, for example:
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions
- increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools
More information about the PE and sport premium funding can be found on the Government’s website.
Should you require any further information please contact us.